26 February, 2011

Der Untergang (The Downfall)


I'm going to start by giving you some film stats, about the plot, then go into my review. *WARNING - THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

Rating: R for "strong violence, disturbing images and some nudity"
Staring: Bruno Ganz and Alexandra Maria Lara.
Released: 16th of September, 2004.
Genre: Biography, Drama, History, War.

Plot:
Adolf (Bruno Ganz) Hitlers last days in his bunker in Berlin. It is told from the view of his secretary Traudl (Alexandra Maria Lara) Junge. I will say only a few things as I assume, and hope, every one already knows the story of Hitler and at least a bit about his final days. This movie is based on two books, the first (Der Untergang) written by German historian and son of a German man who opposed the Nazi regime named Joachim Fest, and the second (Bis zur letzten Stunde) written by Melissa Müller and Traudl Junge about Traudl Junge's life, including her time with Hitler.

My Review:
This is, in my opinion, THE best WWII film about the German side. It depicts him in a way I think shows why so many loved him and were devoted to him. It is a true story and I believe that every one should understand what the Nazis were doing and what World War II was. It deeply saddens me how ignorant so so many are about history! If we do not know the treacherous past, how can we stop it from repeating? There is some nudity, and also quite a bit of violence. But, it was a violent awful war. I'm not saying you should be able to watch this and not be bothered by the violence, I'm saying you should watch this and yes be bothered and be aware and be sure that this doesn't happen again. This movie is wonderful acted, and beautifully made. And it is all spoken in German, but is subtitled in english.

to sum it up, it is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment