17 August, 2010

Dinner for Schmucks.


I'm going to start by giving you some film stats, about the plot, then go into my review. *WARNING - THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

Rating: PG-13, for "Crude and sexual content, some partial nudity and language."
Staring: Steve Carell and Paul Rudd.
Released: 30Th of July, 2010.
Genre: Comedy.

Plot:
Tim (Rudd) is an executive trying to get ahead in the work place. One day his boss decides to give him a chance. All Tim has to do to make it to the next floor up is find an 'idiot' to bring to dinner so that he, and all the other executives can make fun of the 'guests' behind their backs. Once Tim got home and told his girlfriend, she was very angry, so he promised her he would not attend. As Tim is driving he hits a man, this is Barry (Carell), Barry makes taxidermy mouse scene boxes. After a few moments of talking Tim knew he had found his "idiot". The only problem at the time was Barry remembered the date wrong, and showed up to Tim's house the very next day. There's a long list of things that occur while Barry is visiting. After all this Barry finds out that Tim really doesn't like him. Feeling bad for how he treated Barry he goes to the dinner to tell his boss that Barry’s not coming, but Barry is already there. After being made somewhat of a fool, by Barry’s boss Therman (Zach Galifianakis) who was also a ‘Schmuck’, at the dinner. Tim takes Barry out side and tells him that this competition for ‘Talented People’ is really a dinner for idiots, and first prize goes to the biggest one, and Therman would probably win. The thing is that Barry knew that Therman would hold winning over his head. So Barry decides to win this award. Julie had took Tim back. They Got married and lived happily ever after.

My Review:
Let me start off by saying it had it's funny moments, and the acting, though they were acting like idiots, was for the most part good. But I was disappointed. Steve Carell in my opinion is a very funny man, but for the most part I just couldn't get into his character, Barry was just so oblivious.
I honestly would not pay 10 Dollars to watch it in theatres again, I predicted more than half the movie and the other half was so uninteresting I didn't care. I had more fun and laughs watching the previews before the movie started. Unless you are dying to see an utterly boring, annoyingly crude movie I wouldn't recommend renting it. They could have taken out the whole side plot about the painter and about the stalker, and I think it would have been a better movie for it.

To sum it up, I was and am disappointed.

Cole.

No comments:

Post a Comment